View Single Post
      12-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #21
Coni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I remember BMW specifically talking about low sales on the GT not too long ago and they attributed it to the lack of nonV8 engines...really Scott? I get that you are a marketing guy but everybody can see that it is a pointlessly ugly vehicle.

BMW is very into creating niches that are no there, aka the Luxury crossover/SAV in the X3 and X5. Whatever niche the X6 was supposed to fill.

The small near luxury sports car in the states with the 1 series.

The performance sedan in the 1600 and lets not forget the 2002tii.
They took the iconic sporty FWD hatch away from the GTi with the Mini.

BMW has a nack of finding niches that should not be there but the moment that an untapped market in the US comes about, The small RWD hatch, it is ignored by them.

BMW is missing out on a very anxious market share and a niche that they can fill with a car that already exists. Has anybody at BMW thought that maybe small nice hatches have a bad rap in the states because the only one here currently the A3, which is a bad car that is overpriced.

With some slick marketing and a good car BMW could easily take that market share for themselves. But they are too blinded in the 90s notion that Americans are simpletons who equate money with size and who only want big cars with 22"s and a snarling V8. Those times are over. and the sooner automakers like BMW realize that the sooner we can start having legitimately good and small cars sold here.

The 1 series is a car capable of changing american's idea of the small car, just get your head out of the ground and realize that.
While I disagree with most everything you said, the bolded part stands out to me the most. What you said is entirely true, truck and suv sales are increasing! People in America equate bigger with better. In America, people would rather get a less optioned base-spec 5 series then a fully optioned 335i, while it is the reverse in Europe. So that equates to people in America would rather have a small SUV than a small hatchback.
Appreciate 0