GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
None of that crap has to do with airplanes. You have no idea what I am talking about regarding launching or falling space vehicles and airplanes.
In my defense, this is Tesla thread - also, I know what you're talking about (at least as much as you've posted about, which ain't much) and it seems to misunderstand how and why regulations are created, and how business works ... but I get we're not writing formal research papers here, just BSin

With that, an example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
One of the largest companies in the world, owned by the most wealthiest man in the world, has not yet made one such commercial drone delivery
(1.) Air drone delivery has to be needed, reliable & profitable - It's not yet proven to be any of those things!
And I don't think it will in our lifetimes, and that's why Nuro is focused PURELY on street-vehicles and already has paying customers. For example, last mile delivery on small orders can use sidewalks and those drones are cheap so even if they take 3 hours to make 1 delivery it's profitable - fairly soon you can see a delivery funnel: drone trucks are interstate to city DCs, drone vans are intracity, drone cars are inter-neighborhood for large or multiple deliveries, and drone bots are intra-neighborhood at the home-level. And the bots could even hand-off deliveries bot-to-bot neighborhood-to-neighborhood. Like I said, drone delivery bots are all over Mountain View - putting them in the air doesn't add any value:

(2.) Regulations aren't made based on someone's wealth or the size of a single company
As previously described - I worked on a team that changed global regulations (FAA+) across the military and civilian aircraft ops in ~18 months (note: that's really fucking fast) because the changes impacted 1000s of companies globally (and it's currently a multi-billion $ industry); everyone from Precision Screw in Milwaukee to Rolls-Royce in the UK to ANA in Japan. When a business in most congressional districts gets a big benefit, regs pass.

SpaceKaren (Elon) is able to push regulatory changes not because of his wealth or his company's size, but because SpaceX work will impact 1000s of companies, many industries, and national security; not to mention a giant benefit to consumers. That's what gets shit done: lots of winners, lots of dipped beaks.

Further:
Self-driving cars & delivery vehicles will have no regulatory problems for the same reason: 1000s of companies will prosper across multiple industries (all?) as well as massive consumer benefits. Have you seen any states backing off despite accidents? Fuck no, they're all in. For good reason.

And autonomous air drones would be exactly same ... EXCEPT, that assumes the profitability is there (which is isn't), and the benefits dip a lot of beaks (which they don't), and consumers want and/or need it (which they don't).

Air-drone delivery is noisy, disturbs wildlife (and people), has limited size, and 1hr vs 1 day isn't valuable to hardly anyone. In short, air-drone delivery is a solution looking for a problem, so not even sure why it comes up in conversations

As far as school buses go, when's the last time you saw one of these?

Despite many ICE schoolbus accidents that have killed many children, nobody's advocating we go back to slower horse-drawn school buses (are you?) to save the children.

Hell, at this point, most parents would put their kids in a drone spaceship if it got them out of the house and off zoomschool.

Regulations just haven't ever been a barrier to profits in the history of mankind.

The thing with progress is, it's progressive.

Last edited by GrussGott; 12-05-2020 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0