View Single Post
      09-05-2015, 07:12 AM   #26
jabugui
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: f21 lci 120iA

Perfecty and thoroughly explained ovekvam! This is exactly what I was wondering about the sports mode.

And for the confort mode and DSC, how do they work in light snow/rain (around 0ºC)? Are they reliable without winter tyres, as compared to older systems. I only have experience with ASR and ESP front drive but they worked astonishing good in bad climate conditions in Spain. Never had to use the chains and I could drive quite comfortably at 100kmh behind a snowplough truck.

Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I have tested the car on the limit in all modes.

Sport+ is the same as DTC, but with Sport throttle mapping, where normal DTC has the Comfort mapping.

DTC has stability control enabled, but traction control pretty much disabled. You can have a lot of wheelspin, but limited sliding. If the car senses the car getting out of control, it will start braking and correcting the angle. As long as you do the right things as a driver to bring it back under control, it will not interfere. If you try to keep the car sliding, it will not allow it.

ADB is only present with DSC Off. If you drive in a corner, and enough power to provoke wheelspin on the inside, rear wheel, you can feel that the car brakes that wheel. The differential will transfer the torque to the outside wheel, so it does not really brake the car, but you can feel a slight rotation in the car towards the inside of the corner, killing the understeer you would otherwise expect in this situation. You can also go surprisingly early on the throttle in corners without wheelspin.

With DSC Off, it is possible to do drifting. The ADB is not as quick and smooth as a real, mechanical limited slip differential, and the turbo lag from the engine is also making the throttle response sluggish. Not the easiest car to drift, but definitely possible. The steering is quick, and the balance of the car is predictable.

The funny thing about the steering is that it feels rather dead when you drive the car slowly. There seems to be a lack of steering feel, even though the steering is quick and responsive. The steering feel is however there when you approach the limit. Even on snow and ice, you can still feel the available grip from the front wheels.
Appreciate 0