View Single Post
      08-05-2019, 05:00 PM   #17
HDMI
Private
Rep
Drives: Bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
My DW bought a just-released Kia Niro BEV crossover in May. It has more features than my BMW i3, is on-par with the Tesla Model 3 in terms of price and battery range, and seats five adults comfortably. Did I mention that it's getting better miles/kWh than my i3 on the highway? She also test-drove the Hyundai Kona BEV, which allegedly uses the same battery pack and motor. The Kona felt cramped inside, mostly due to Hyundai putting this thing that can only be described as an ironing board with switches on it between the front seats.

We have never owned or even considered a Korean car before, and were still under the old stereotype that they were cheap crap based on their first offerings in North America. The thing seems to be solid after 4,000+ miles, and I can't pry the key fob out of her hands. Best of all, her commuting energy costs have dropped from $400/month to about $75/month...and will be significantly less than that going forward since a business next to where she works just installed two free chargers for public use.....
What sold you on the Kia over the Hyundai? The lease on my Bolt EV just ended, and am looking for another EV. I'd get another Bolt (it's been flawless) but I was told the tax credit is not as much as with Hyunday/Kia, not sure if that's true. I really like both of the Korean offerings, but haven't had a chance to test drive them yet. Tesla is out of consideration (horrible quality, service, parts availability, unreliable tech, not to mention they're overpriced).
Thanks,
Appreciate 0