View Single Post
      05-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #105
rpagianotto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F22 m235i 8AT

Even though I agree that peak horsepower does nothing to show how an engine actually behaves and performs, I'm not sure how much I trust these tuning boxes anyway.

I mean, I would really like to see actual dyno readings from before and after the installation, because the engines on the 1 series are so underrated from factory.

Pretty much all of the tuning boxes I've seen for the 118i promise an upgrade to around 200hp, even the most reputable ones. The thing is, I just took my car to a dyno this past weekend and I got 178whp, which would translate to around 206-211hp on the crank.

At the same time, a lot of people are reporting 135-140whp for the 116i, which would translate to around 160-165 atual hp, factory default.

I'm not saying that there is no performance to be gained from these ECU piggybacks, but considering that my car already outputs more than the promised figures gains, It's really hard to say what you're actually getting from them.

I might go for a custom ECU reflash in the near future (looking into options right now) because they seem a bit more reliable to me. That's my 2c in any case.
Appreciate 0