View Single Post
      02-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #32
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

No, it is not based on any internal information. It is basically based on experience with previous generations of cars where they also said the same things. When the enthusiasts start comparing the parts, they are not very different. They are also usually interchangeable, so you can pick and choose between parts from different models to get the handling you want. On an E36, you may choose E30 front control arms, E46 damper mounts with Z3 reinforcements, Z3 steering rack and so on. All in all, the most important factors for the handling is how the weight is distributed in the car, stiffness of suspension (easily replaced) and swaybars (easily replaced) and alignment (easily changed). The weight is more difficult to do something about, and is a handicap for the M135i compared to the low power versions.

I am not saying that they are lying, I just think they are exaggerating the fact that the parts are different. It basically has to be to cope with the extra weight and power.

You will probably find that the heaviest diesel models have a specific setup as well, but the marketing guys save the hype for the M135i.
Appreciate 0