11-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #94
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The car's chassis code is public now (thanks to SCOTT) so it appears to be coming in all likelihood. That doesn't mean you can't debate it further, but it probably isn't the most exciting of discussions given the evidence. Just my opinion.

As for FWD M products (which makes for a much more interesting debate), which would potentially include an M Sedan 1 Series, I don't think we can rule it out at all.
But I would expect hatchbacks before a sedan simply because the M2 GC will probably cover the market pretty well for those who want a small four door M. I use FWD loosely however - it would be more accurrate to say AWD Haldex.
The entire M line story is at the moment quite complicated.
As you pointed out, a hatchback would make sense; especially with a 4 wheel drive.
The problem is, that M should be a sub-brand (like that i-electric). It's even organized as a "separate" entity inside the company.
Such a hatchback would lower the M prestige; at the moment there is enough snickering about M not being present enough in markets like China, USA, Russia and similar (where great business can be done with such cars).
So, I think that the M sub-brand strategy is going to be worked out first, probably by marketing it in a different manner. BMW as such is going into mass production with FWD cars and some are seeing the M as future hardcore BMWs.
You can imagine that such a hatchback is not a piece in this puzzle.
Appreciate 0