03-06-2013, 05:08 AM   #22
frashed
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno28 View Post
I just wanted to know how much we are ripped off over here. I know costs are different.
I'm willing to bet the cost here for the service plan would be well over $1000 AUD.

In regards to warranty; here's what the ACCC has to say:

Quote:
New vehicle warranties: In relation to general servicing, motor vehicle dealers are entitled to insist that any servicing performed on cars they sell is carried out by qualified staff, according to the manufacturer’s specifications, and using genuine or appropriate quality parts where required.

Provided these conditions are met, regardless of where you choose to get your car serviced, your warranty will remain intact.

Genuine or appropriate quality parts?: The issue here is not who manufactured the part/s, it is whether the part/s are fit or appropriate for the purpose intended. If a part is non-genuine, but is interchangeable with the genuine part, it could be seen as being fit or appropriate for the purpose and would therefore not void the manufacturer’s warranty.

Express warranties are usually specified under the agreement with the dealer; it might state a specific time period, maximum liability and limitations. Express warranties operate in addition to statutory warranties, and cannot restrict the provisions of the statutory warranty, which is implied in every single consumer sale. Generally dealers will be able to place certain conditions on the express warranty given to buyers. A consumer may void their expressed warranty if, for example, the car is fitted with non-genuine parts. However, the statutory warranties will continue to apply unless the service of the independent mechanic or the fitting of the non-authorised part caused the fault.

Dealers are not permitted to limit their obligations under the warranty and refund provisions of the TPA or fair trading legislation, or make any representations to this effect, e.g. that the warranty is void if the vehicle is not serviced by the dealer or its agent. You are effectively covered by both warranties. The express warranty may offer you some further cover above and beyond the cover you have under the statutory warranty.
In short - you won't void the warranty as long as you're using genuine and/or genuine spec parts.

Edit: The Express Warranty part threw me off. Perhaps do a Google search on the differences between Statutory and Express Warranties and see if you can make sense of it