View Single Post
      05-04-2023, 05:57 AM   #5005
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
Quote:
Decided to ride the green fairy tonight... Wish me luck.

Edit: my wife and I did the whole absinthe ritual with the sugar cube and ice water.... It is very good. Scary good...
It's a slippery slope (ask the guy with 9 bottles of absinthe in his cabinet) but try something other than mansinthe. My wife and I both liked it but felt the quality of the alcohol was lacking. It was the first absinthe that gave us hangovers and I am presuming it's from the beet liquor used. Leopold Bros makes an excellent product, Pacifique is really good. St. George is interesting, my wife loves Lucid, probably the best cheaper and mass marketed brand for sure.

If you're interested in exploring I can go through my cabinet and provide some more suggestions.

The only reason I'm really down on the Mansinthe is that it's really hard to feel like shit after drinking even large quantities of absinthe because you consume so much water along with it. That's another thing to play with, ratios. We went as far as to get a graduated cylinder to dose it correctly, but after a while you know where it needs to be in the glass. For super strong absinthes we use 4.5-5-1 and for weaker (like the white ones) 3-1. You can definitely change the profile by changing the amount of water, but wouldn't go under 4-1 for the strong stuff. Also I do recommend trying without sugar, it's pretty sweet by itself. The only time I do sugar is if I order it out because it's easier to just let them do it the way they like.
Appreciate 0