View Single Post
      07-09-2022, 05:59 PM   #70
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. He's posted video snippets of him doing track days other sports cars. So he's not a rank rookie with this one being his first.

He also said in his follow up video that he was the only car out because everyone was packing it up for the day. He even said he was hoping someone saw him wreck as it would have sucked for him to walk back with his injuries.

People are so quick to beat up someone that so far has not blamed anyone else but himself for this. He's not crying about losing $170k on this car and opening up a Go Fund Me. He's answered ever dig he's received online.

I was at VIR a couple of months ago. A very fast and experienced rider crashed twice there. Both in the same corner. Some think he was just pushing too hard into the corner. I'm thinking the same with some lapse in judgement. Not taking away from his abilities as he's way faster than me.

People make mistakes. Even the best of us. The first one that has been on track that is Mr. Clean with no incidents due to lack of judgement, I'll call BS on.
Fair points. But this is the sort of shenanigans we teach rookies not to do on the last session on Sunday, because we care about them, and hope their equipment is okay.

I've had my share of "oopses" over the years. Stuffing at 2003 EVO into hogpen armco was the worst. Driving in a hurricane was the intellectual error there. I claim inexperience at the time. I know better now.

Running my hoosiers a gazillion heat cycles was my last boo boo. But it was the first time in ten years I'd run hoosiers, but the result was a low speed spin in turn 1 at VIR. They were fine after they were warm, but they corded after that.

So I get it. But this one was so basic. And yeah, he didn't claim anything else other than "mea culpa". But it can be learned from.

Shawn
Appreciate 1