07-11-2021, 10:29 PM   #6
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Find out what her school recommends/uses, and buy that ecosystem.....
No small consideration here. I'm an Apple user (but still have a Windows system), but our university is a Windows environment and I think students with Windows systems have an easier time with it. For one thing, Powerpoint works much better on Windows than it does on a Mac. Many of our students are required to produce narrated Powerpoint presentations for class. Soooo much easier on a Windows box.

All that said, I believe Apple systems outlast Windows systems when you compare (excuse the pun) apples to apples. My 2012 MacBook Pro is still an excellent system, despite being 9 years old.

If this laptop will only be needed for the duration of the her degree program, consider the school's IT ecosystem. If this laptop needs to last for 6 years or more, consider an Apple.

I'm currently using a new M1 based MacBook Pro and I'm impressed with the performance for the price. The less expensive MacBook Air would no doubt be sufficient for use at any university. And our university bookstore has excellent prices for Macs. Look into student discounts on Macs before you decide.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615239.50