02-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #81
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
For me the xDrive would also mean: more fun, since 1) I'am not a Tokyo drift king 2) in Belgium the average allowed speed is 45km/h like you know and then your licence is shreded by d'Hondt. When you say: fun is living on the edge and understand you drive a weapon than can explode in your hands any moment, yes, than RWD is the way to go.

I've driven RWD all my live now (+600tkms) an my only experience was a replacement Audi A5 3.0Tdi AWD, but it was an incredible nice car to drive. You can plant your foot wherever you are, and you just GO, without drama. When you believe that the fun is the first victim of traction, I advice you to test some of the newest xDrives, best in combination with some real poke, like the 330d xDrive for instance (than you test the incredible 8AT also!).

To be clear, the 1M is a pure and epic car like few exist, no doubt about it. When I had it, I would love it every moment. But it's not the best engineering setup for idiots that want to have fun like me I guess. To be honest, I'am afraid that the average M5/6 buyer is not a better pilot than I'am.
Fair enough.

Just to be clear: very few of 1M owners are drift kings or (almost) pro drivers etc. The thing is once you go to concepts like efficiency and ideal set up you also risk ending up with a high speed train. In the case of 1M, the steering is not electro-mechanic or active steering, the gear box is plain 6 speed manual, the e-brake is manual, the suspension is fixed and there is not even a M-drive menu because there are very few things to configure before you start driving anyway (just the traction control and M button for throttle response). Which means that the rwd is not the only part of this car which is not "best engineered set up", the whole car is like that. What matters is the final result, how parts work together and since every car is an integral whole as long as they work in harmony you don't want to alter the car radically. It doesn't feel insecure or at the limit too unless you want it to be which is a personal decision and risk to have.

I am not totally OK with the modern trend that cars are having more and more power, getting much faster in a world with less empty roads and more limitations but they are also getting "easier" to drive thanks to engineering and electronics. I think this is a formula for disaster. Or I am getting old.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0