09-19-2021, 06:19 PM   #28
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Well even BMW had that whole collaboration with Hans Zimmer... and although that's not even close to what I'm describing, it's at least some recognition that enthusiasts like sound.

While I agree there isn't much demand for it, there also isn't a ton of demand for the performance variants (compared to the non performance variants). You're going to sell a lot more 330i's than you will m3's, but that doesnt mean you don't make an m3.

All this being said... im just bitter that I'll eventually have to succumb to driving a silent tablet PC with wheels attached to it. I don't care if it's fast if it doesn't provide me with any theater and drama.
I just did a canyon run this morning in LA. Playing with the gears added so much fun to the experience. Thanks to the ICE instead of EV powertrain my car feels light and playful. And while it doesn't sound great there is at least some auditory drama. All this (save for the 1/4+ tank of gas I burned through) just reaffirmed why I love ICE.

My buddy has a Model 3 Performance but took his ICE car today. He really doesn't like the way the Tesla handles on these canyon roads. Says the steering is weird/numb, brakes feel odd, and no paddles or soundtrack zap all the fun out of the experience.

I don't doubt a fun nimble EV can be produced with how the technology is advancing, but the inherent "flaws" of ICE are what make it so fun and engaging for us.

Last edited by Germanauto; 09-19-2021 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 4
RugbyBro7601.50
wtwo317969.50
jmack548.50
Merlin_83473.50