07-11-2016, 04:13 AM   #216
Slyly
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F20 1.16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Yes, running downhill helps a lot. I just wanted to point out how much power you need to do so on a flat ground. The F20 has aero drag like a brick. The 3 series can go faster with the same power.

If you look at the physics involved, the rolling resistance is proportional with speed, and rather negligible when it comes to top speed. The aero drag increases with velocity squared, and the power needed to overcome it increases with velocity cubed. That is what I based my calculation on.

Our 116i had 139 hp at the rear hubs on a dyno run, which indicates something like 150 hp in the engine. Still I never managed to go beyond 209 km/h (GPS) at flat parts of the Autobahn. I know there is a limiter, but I could tell by the almost non existant acceleration above 200 km/h, that the car was actually running out of power needed to go faster. Removing the limiter would only help when going downhill.

I managed 219 km/h in my old E30 318iS with the same power output by drafting behind a faster car. The E30 has slightly less aero drag as well, due to significantly smaller front area.
No way my 116i is near 250-260 bhp. It doesn't go and/or feel as 230 bhp let alone the 250-260.
Appreciate 0