View Single Post
      04-22-2022, 02:12 PM   #25
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'm not trying to be a dick about it, but re-read your original post. It says bolts up to E30's built before 9/87, now you are saying after. I was addressing your original comment, which was not correct. If I was off by a year ('88 vs. '89) okay. Like I said when I researched it 20 years ago the consensus was MY '89. IIRC it was from one of the Bimmer Magazine articles they published about "Collectable BMWs - E30" or something to that effect.

The cabrio's got the Euro bumpers in the USA for the last MY in 1992 (just for info purposes).
As someone else pointed out, E30 cab's went to 1993 (I've owned one), 1994 according to Wikipedia (although, not US-market, I believe).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
What an awesome example!

I am not really au fait with USA motoring rules and regulations but I am just curious; would the new owner be able to stick Euro bumpers on the car and it be legal or would the owner have to keep those bumpers?
Yeah you can put on whatever bumpers you want and no one will ever know/care. My e30 passed CA light inspection without a third brake lamp. Our inspections are a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
LOL. So in the USA, no US Market E30 ever had the original metal Euro (I'll say low profile) bumpers. Anyone that has an idea of a US market E30 with "Euro bumpers", which appeared from the factory as the 1989 model year update, thinks of the plastic (cover) bumpers. So now saying you meant the metal Euro bumpers only ever available on European E30's AND the plastic bumpers is a bit disingenuous at this point; you could have been more clear, but you were not.
I'm sorry but the other guy is right. Every E30 owner (for the past decade) calls the low profile metal bumpers "Euro bumpers" and the plastic bumpers...."Plastic bumpers". Maybe this was different 20 years ago.

To me it doesn't make any sense to call the plastic bumpers "Euro" because they came from the factory on US-spec cars...
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 1
Mani5913569.50