02-28-2019, 07:28 AM   #24
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Wouldn't this induce dangerous driving? Last time I saw a moron (not in a BMW ) struggling to brake approaching cars awaiting a green light. I would guess they want their cars to feel safe (from being such in fact ), actually.
This can be an issue, particularly for SUVs on winter roads. The drivers get a false sense of security by the high seating position and stable AWD handling. When it comes to braking, the driver can underestimate the stopping distance.

Quote:
Isn't speed feeling just feeling insecure? Choosing a car with a poor handling and a good acceleration should help you to achieve your goal, keeping you busy/concerned driving even slowly. No M-Sport (or even sport suspension) should've made a wise choice as well as weight reduction (no M-Sport brakes should let you feel slow is fast after all ).
My experience is that underpowered lightweight cars usually give more sense of speed. There is less isolation from the driving process. You hear the engine and the wind, you feel the grip level and bumps in the steering wheel. You have to go through more gears to get to the same speed.

A car like the Mazda MX-5 has very good handling, but still feels fast at low speed.

Quote:
Can this be because of weight difference, in particular? F20 should feel more planted. When (test) driving a Mini, did you feel more speed?
Weight is definitely a key factor. The Mini feels faster at the same speeds, maybe also because you can actually hear the engine.
Appreciate 0