View Single Post
      11-13-2020, 09:05 AM   #7
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus View Post
I will try that. But i don't think it will work. On this video we can see he already unlocked the car before entering.
On my car, i can only unlock the door manually. My car stays locked (for example my steering wheel is locked).

Yes i know i must disable the stolen keys. I plan to do it too. Thanks.
I will try to do a video because some things are weird for me. I have no warning message on the screen. Can't turn on lights, can't unlock doors with button. But maybe it's a normal thing.
Even if i can unlock the door thank to the manual key, it seems that the whole car is still locked.

I asked my dealer if they forgot maybe to do something like programming it. He answered that they don't need to do anything, just order it. Sounds weird for me...

Yes i'm also fighting with BMW with that. They want i to change the whole system. But I saw that I just need to change the two lock cylinders (and it seems it's very easy to do it).
An important security point is a new key (the remote control functionality) must only start working with the car when it has reached the legitimate owner, not just anybody (dealer employee included). BMW mustn't overlook that. Say, if a lost key can be blocked (according to the manual) it effectively means the car tells keys from each other so they should be introduced to it initially for that. Pre-programming extra keys at the factory would be a security breach (and what if you change keys "too often"?).

Why two lock cylinders? "There can be only one!" (F20/F21 only have it in the driver's door, don't they?) The two part numbers refer to distinct ordering options: when you wish to retain the key you have and when you wish to replace it.
Appreciate 0