04-26-2021, 02:18 PM   #876
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sward View Post
So the first real M-developed car from the ground up is a 7-seater SUV
More of an M-branded product than M-developed.

Yes, the vehicle will have only a "performance" and "high performance" model (assuming rumors hold), both of which fall under the M product portfolio. But, the situation is little different from a hypothetical one where, for example, BMW were to eliminate the base X6 40i or 840i from today's lineup (the North American lineup specifically, where there are no diesels). You'd be left with just M models, and you could then theoretically call those "XM" and, I suppose, "M" respectively. But, that would not in and of itself change the way the vehicles were conceived.

The story with the X8 => XM will be more interesting and less contrived than that, but you get the idea. In fact, we already know that instead of a V8 powered M50i, there will be a B58 PHEV "M50e" model with similar output. Also, while I don't think it has been confirmed, it seems all but certain that the flagship model will not use a ~600hp S63 like the one that powers today's M5-and-up, but instead the S68 which is rumored to be a PHEV setup with about 750hp.
Appreciate 0