01-09-2015, 05:32 AM   #13
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
However, am still not quite comfortable with the above statement - doesn't LSD actually *need* some wheelspin (actually, a difference in left/right wheel spins) to activate? And if so - assuming I'm still protecting my stability with DSC on - will the amount of wheel spin that DTC allows suffice for LSD working efficiently *before* DSC kicks in, cutting power and applying brakes to any of the 4 wheels (not just the rear) it feels necessary to prevent stability loss?

I guess that - after correcting my idea how it actually works with your input - the above is now my question (reworded, but basically the same: will LSD be used efficiently in DSC ON driving scenario)?

TIA!
There are different types of LSDs. The viscous units (like the ones used in the BMW E30 325iX) are activated by wheelspin. The more difference in wheel speed, the more it locks up. The fake e-diff is also in this category. You can feel it lagging a bit when driving on the limit.

The clutch pack units (BMW Performance LSD) and TorSen (Quaife) are activated by torque differences, and will usually react sooner than the car electronics. This way you can drive with a heavier right foot before the DSC warning lamp starts blinking.
Appreciate 0