11-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #1574
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Sure, we could use the word funny.

Or, we could use the word probable. I mean there are only so many people using the soup kitchens and homeless shelters of the world, you're bound to bump into a lot of your kind....

I'm kidding...but only partially because you both have other careers, and art seems to be a side hobby. I think those that do it as a full time career probably struggle a fair bit. Obviously, some make it big, but I feel like most seem to be struggling a bit.

That, and I don't have an appreciation for art. I've never understood it. At least the abstract stuff - I can't help but think my 4 year old could do that. For stuff that's fine detail, I can at least appreciate the talent that went into making it, but I still don't see the value proposition. But that's me, and I'm generally an outlier.
To me art is simply about capturing people's attention with something that makes them reconsider their perspective. I use it to make people look deeper into what they are seeing. Most people see my artwork and see a tree, those that take the time will notice the direction the light is hitting the tree, then the depth of the background, then all the small shit I hide in the picture like faces or just weird random things. I mostly use art as an outlet. It's like free therapy. When something is really troubling me I can stand in front of my chalkboard for a few hours/days and lose myself in what I'm creating or simply having one focal point gives me the opportunity to see other perspectives of the issue. Once I'm done with the piece, I usually find that I either have a resolution to the problem or I'm comfortable with what was bothering me. I also usually have some bad ass artwork to either gift or hang on the wall after.
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7929.00