11-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #93
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The car's chassis code is public now (thanks to SCOTT) so it appears to be coming in all likelihood. That doesn't mean you can't debate it further, but it probably isn't the most exciting of discussions given the evidence. Just my opinion.

As for FWD M products (which makes for a much more interesting debate), which would potentially include an M Sedan 1 Series, I don't think we can rule it out at all. But I would expect hatchbacks before a sedan simply because the M2 GC will probably cover the market pretty well for those who want a small four door M. I use FWD loosely however - it would be more accurrate to say AWD Haldex. In any case, with products like the RS3 and TTRS (and coming A45 and CLA45) garnering such praise, it appears you don't need a RWD chassis to build a great small performance car (the key there being "small" - heavier, large cars need more power and really do best with the engine pointed north-south).
I would argue that the FWD-based Haldex systems of these cars is exactly their problem. It's fine for putting down quick lap times but they're never satisfying (to me) from behind the wheel. I love a good AWD car, I almost bought the current Audi S4 and the Subaru STI is one of my all time favorite cars but cars like the VW R32, TT-S (never driven an RS) and etc. always feel dull. They're not only front-heavy but also prone to plowing under power and have really vague steering.

My 135i is head and shoulders above any of those cars in terms of the way it feels in my hands so I sincerely hope the upcoming M2 continues to have this advantage over its rivals which will undoubtedly be amazing cars.
Appreciate 0