Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Care to explain? Or should I just assume this is some BMW fanboy nonsense.

I’ll 100% guarantee that this is going to be premapped with geofenced roads. LiDAR and camera vision. 37mph limitation. In perfect sunny weather. Mercedes’ (I’ve used their ‘level 3’) and Waymo. Pretty much.

A whole lot less ambitious than what Tesla was trying to do (and failed) before they stripped their cars of the needed hardware as a cost cutting measure and still sell to suckers (we didn’t buy it for the self driving nonsense).

You fanboys would have people thinking that BMW disappeared into a cave and came out with the self driving Ten Commandments without anyone knowing about it. Because German engineers are famous for their software and machine learning prowess!
I agree with your comments that true autonomous will require an environment with lane markings and other vehicles etc defined via sensors and not just through visual detection etc.

The comment about Tesla software engineers being far ahead made me laugh. Tesla has repeatedly changed the narrative about autonomous to suit what it can do, with Musk being full of something or other.

Other posts have commented on the switch to/from camera, LIDAR etc. I just wish people would stop using Tesla as a shining light for autonomous and EVs in general. They have ONE advantage - they own the charging network and the car, so the integration is far better.

Take away that advantage and you get a sub-standard driving experience with only kids thinking they are great due to the gull-wing doors.
Appreciate 0