Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Tesla owner here. I have confidence that BMW will be able to pull this off much better than Tesla. Hell my wife's Genesis Highway Driving Assist is better than Autopilot. Tesla didn't do themselves any favors removing radar sensors as phantom braking increased after that. Also their software expertise is vastly overrated as their UI is junk as is most of the hardware on the car outside of the motors and batteries. All Tesla really has over other automakers is real world data they have collected but the reality is that they are behind in hardware as they still can't do a 360 view and they don't have radar. All Musk and Tesla have focused on in the past few years is shipping as many vehicles as possible while reducing the cost of the cars to increase profits. Autopilot is just like all of Elon's empty promises as he strings along millions of buyers making himself the richest man in the world in the process.
What Tesla does better than other automakers is take more calculated risks. They redesign faster and they ship faster because as a smaller automaker, there's a lot less risk in doing so. They should be applauded for that and it's one of the reasons they've grown as fast as they have. However, in some cases they've definitely gone too far and I personally think Autopilot/FSD falls into that category.

Not only have they changed directions multiple times and failed to hit promised delivery dates over and over while raising prices, the system that exists today isn't making nearly enough progress. Aside from the technical issues, I think the design of the system is flawed in general. A Level 2 system with a high rate of handing over control to a driver is just terrible user experience. The FAA has learned these lessons with major incidents like the crash of Air France Flight 447 and I'm afraid Tesla might end up learning too. You simply can't have a system that demands driver attention routinely while making the driving experience as disengaging as possible, human beings don't work like that. That's why systems that limit the operation to scenarios where it's unlikely the system will need the driver to engage are IMO much safer.

Again, when Tesla assumes financial liability for FSD I'll take it more seriously.
Appreciate 1
heavyD^23688.50