06-29-2022, 10:00 AM   #26
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSee View Post
Tesla owner here. My wife's car is 'Level 2' in ever sense of that designation. The car loves dumping auto pilot anytime a semi-truck starts to encroach into your lane. Even on a wide open highway the sun will induce phantom braking. It miss-judges turns sometimes and goes way too fast into them (probably safe algorithm wise, but uncomfortable for humans). It's junk. Largely useless for anything other than a smarter cruise control.

I'm sorry BMW. But I just don't believe you. Tesla has had not only a big head start, but also access to MASSIVE amounts of REAL WORLD, REAL SCENARIO DATA. Not with test pilots or BMW employees in predictable environments...but with Joe Schmo on every street.

The only way I see BMW pulling off a true Level 3 is if they GEO restrict it's usage to specific cities/towns/regions that they've focused on. Even then you'd have to assume that BMWs software engineers are an order of magnitude more talented than Tesla's.
Tesla owner here. I have confidence that BMW will be able to pull this off much better than Tesla. Hell my wife's Genesis Highway Driving Assist is better than Autopilot. Tesla didn't do themselves any favors removing radar sensors as phantom braking increased after that. Also their software expertise is vastly overrated as their UI is junk as is most of the hardware on the car outside of the motors and batteries. All Tesla really has over other automakers is real world data they have collected but the reality is that they are behind in hardware as they still can't do a 360 view and they don't have radar. All Musk and Tesla have focused on in the past few years is shipping as many vehicles as possible while reducing the cost of the cars to increase profits. Autopilot is just like all of Elon's empty promises as he strings along millions of buyers making himself the richest man in the world in the process.
Appreciate 1