11-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #13
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post
I have been a petrol head for more than 15 years. I have had loan diesel cars but never thought to buy one. Here is the deal... Things can get expensive in the UK... The 125d works out cheaper on road tax, insurance and fuel as it is pretty frugal by the sounds of it...

Outside it sounds like a tractor but what is the cabin noise like in comparison to say a 118i?

I have come across a 2012 example with 68k miles but it drives like new. I like it as it has m sport brakes, xenon lights, heated seats, sat nav and 18" wheels. It looks really good in grey. To me xenon is a must as I often drive on unlit roads.

My commute to work is a/b roads and takes about 35 minutes in the morning. With free flowing traffic. Speeds vary between 30-50mph. It is about 12 miles. On the way back I take a different route to cut out as much traffic as I can and that is a 14 mile route with a little stop start.. Again 30-50mph on the roads. Route home takes 70 minutes. I very rarely rag it but like taking off at the lights when no one is around.

I didn't buy my current N52B25 with economy in mind but for the silky smooth straight six. For a while I was pining after my Audi S3 as I missed the turbo shove and torque. I fell in love with my 325i as it is amazing although road tax and fuel adds up.

My annual mileage is about 13,000 miles. We're always hitting the motorway at least once a month to visit family on 200 mile trips.

Do you guys reckon I would be better suited to a 118i M Sport?? I figured it would be better with a remap. I want some economy but I'm not crazy about it and I wonder about things like getting the diesel up to temperature.

I remember my S3 sounded a bit diesel like at times as it used a hpfp system but cannot recall if it was as loud as an actual one.

Has anyone else made the step from a six to a four pot? Have you been able to grow used to it?

Any advice and opinions appreciated.

Thanks
I feel a bit related: since I take the daily train to and from Brussels, I only use my car (e39 530i) to hit the railway station, about.... 3 miles down the road! Alhough your usage is a bit different, you also don't drive enough to motivate a 125d which is a bit of a schizophrenic car when you start to think about it: the hart of a long distance cruiser and the rest is...hmm, just not the choice of a cruiser. Probably this is the reason that BMW is unique in this offering, there is no real market opportunity to host a lot of competition in this shallow segment.

My godchild had one, and I expected a blast because of the torque, but it didn't hit me like I expected it would. When you don't have high tensioned expectations, you'll positively feel it has grunt as from low down. On higher rpm's, it doesn't make a case for itself though. the occasions I drove it, I was wondering why a 120d would be the lesser transport solution seen the price hike.

The 118i seems the better match seen your driving profile. But maybe you should consider being unfaithful... a Golf GTI Performance is usually not much more, but delivers way above a 118i and also makes the thought living without the 125d very bearable.
Appreciate 0