View Single Post
      10-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #3
padders
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

Mine sounds pretty good but is still obviously a diesel. That said I have an LCI car with the B47 engine which is noticeably smoother than the N47 I had in my previous 320d. The gearing on the auto is so long that unless you drop down 2 or 3 cogs you won't hear any significant engine noise at cruise at up to 3 figure speeds. The 450Nm poke is very addictive and makes for a seriously fast car, yes you miss the last 2K revs which the M135i would offer but a red line at 5200 isn't too shabby for a diesel. The torque also means that the car happily trickles around town at 1200-1300rpms in 6th or 7th or gear without any hiccups. Bloody impressive when you think about it. Don't expect mpg miracles though, if all you do is town driving mid 30s is a real possibility, rising to low 50s on motorway drags. Your mix sounds like low 40s to me, my gut feeling is that the the 120d would be a lot better on fuel.

As I say I have the B47 so I am not sure how helpful my impressions will be but one thing I will say which is probably applicable to the N47 is that I wouldn't be all that keen on a manual, the auto is that good and really suits the delivery of the diesel unit.
Appreciate 0