Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan77 View Post
Twin turbo 4 cylinder motor? Sequential maybe? If not, I don't see how it would be cost-effective or even benefit power production to twin-turbo a 4 cylinder motor.
Read the article below..the information is from a German sourced automotive journal. They DO mention turbo-charging...I don't know if it is twin or otherwise.....I still highly doubt the vehicle shown above is a 135i hatch....time will tell

"Even though this is something we anticipated and talked about for quite some time now, this morning the breaking news in the BMW world were that the German automaker will start using 3-cylinder engines in the next generation BMW 1 Series and the high-volume seller, 3 Series. According to sources close to BMW, the 3-cylinder engines will power some of the entry level vehicles and smaller mild hybrid platforms. The upcoming BMW Z2 and the new generation 1 Series are the prime candidates for this new direction. Quoting the same source, these engines are currently in a testing phase and are still about two years away from the launch date.

The German publication Auto Motor und Sport published today a list of these new engines. Even though we have not yet confirmed them with a second source, we will go ahead and publish them, but keep in mind that things might change along the line.
x16i – 1,35 liters I3, 122hk/190Nm
x18i – 1,35 liters I3, 150hk/220Nm
x20i – 1,35 liters I3, 180hk/260Nm
x23i – 1,80 liters I4, 204hk/300Nm
x25i – 1,80 liters I4, 240hk/350Nm
Of course many of you wonder why would BMW go into this direction, but we have said many times in the past few months: the stricter emission regulation and the need for cleaner technologies, have pushed BMW into a new direction, where efficiency is the key element.
Those engines will also be configured to work with existing and future hybrid technologies which can boost the power. Even though the smaller displacement usually implies less power, BMW is still focused on offering the same sporty performance that made the company famous.
The engines with less cylinders and displacement will make up the performance by being turbocharged.
For those of you that still believe in more power and big engines, BMW will continue to offer their award winning engines, starting with the twin-turbo 6-cylinder and the current V8 turbo engines.
[Source: GCZ and AMS ]"
Appreciate 0