Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Nothing wrong with that, provided we all bear in mind that
  • All car reviews are subjective
  • Car reviews test aspects of performance and use that are often irrelevant to the daily needs of most drivers
  • There's relatively few motoring journos who are professional drivers
  • Professional drivers often can't write, write logically, and/or have quite big gaps in their technical knowledge. Also, one should never assume they are unbiased, because they typically have a number of commercial interests that are not disclosed
  • Car tests are often done in quite a short time, ie, the test drivers are exposed to them for quite short periods.
  • Most cars evolve for the better over time, with development.

Motor test journalists regularly contradict themselves, or make comments they've heard others make (eg, Audi - front heavy, numb steering) which I find really annoying.

Yes, they help inform us, as consumers, but they're not handing out tablets of stone, just subjective opinions based on their individual cognitive biases. Just like me!
You're really low-balling Suttcliffe's judgement. He's a fantastic driver and has had the privilege of driving hundreds of cars; most of sporting intentions no less. I'd bank on his opinion more than anyone else's (well, with the old Harris Monkey being on par of course).

Sure, your personal preferences might vary, but nobody has the level of perspective mixed with driving capabilities as these British journos that comprise the Evo/Car/Autocar staff.

-Suttcliffe and Harris try to be as objective as possible. Often times you see them weighing both perspectives on a car.
-They're often given multiple chances to drive the same model of car, and you don't know what the range/timespan they're given said car. It could be a couple of days or a full week.
-They're fully capable of exploiting the cars' cornering capabilities. Half the reason I love watching their video reviews is to listen to how they describe a car's entry/stead-state/exit cornering behaviors. They're great at detailing things like this.

Just a few points I had to make in relation to yours.

Last edited by Year's_End; 07-01-2013 at 02:08 AM..
Appreciate 0