advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
100% agree.. This is really confusing stuff now

What is most confusing is that BMW would make the M135 / M235 / M135 Sedan all powered by the Turbo Six, and then slap a 4 cylinder on the M2, M2 GC ? How would that make any sense? I just don't get that they can market the more expensive M models with less cylinders, no more power, obvisouly less torque and more turbo lag that the M Perf model counterparts which we know already have the 6 Turbo (M135 Hatch)

Can anyone explain this to me?
You got it, you'll be asked to pay more for a 4 cylinders than for 6

It makes sense that the M6 gets an 8 cylinders, the M4 a 6 cylinder and the M2 a 4 cylinders, status-wise and CO² emissions-wise. But indeed it apparently doesn't make sense to have the lower market M135i get the inline-6 while the hardcore M2 get 2 less cylinders...

I guess they will justify this difference as follows: the M135i is a GT oriented (sporty indeed but more cruising oriented than brutal driving) compact car, significantly sporty but otherwise a practical everyday car (hatch), sufficiently comfortable and very pleasant to drive around due to its very onctuous engine (large 3.0 displacement, not excessively high turbo boost...); while the M2 will be marketed as a hardcore, lightweight (4 cylinders) compact coupé (not as practical as the hatch), with better weight ratio (lighter engine), driving much more raw and not as onctuous as the inline-6 (less displacement, big turbo pressure...) and naturally less comfortable (so clearly a hardcore small supercar more than a GT), but ultimately the exclusivity, lightweight and higher performance numbers of the M2 (not difficult technically) will justify it having 2 less cylinders, and M enthusiasts will accept it as so, thinking that the drawbacks of an inline-4 vs the previous 1M inline-6 and vs the current M135i inline-6 are all good

Last edited by advantage20; 11-28-2012 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0