01-30-2018, 05:12 AM   #46
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
In BMWs defense, you just hopped out of a Hummer lol. In all seriousness through, I have a Camaro SS 1LE and that alpha chassis is really good!
Well really it was August 2012 when I and BMW N.A. discovered the E90 CBS (for the N52 at least) goes defunct for oil change notifications after 186,000 miles. I had an loaner F30 335i for a whole week and sadly discovered BMW lost the 3-series DNA somewhere. This was just a week after I had the ATS 2.0L Performance package as a loaner from GM. So actually I had just hopped out of a BMW. Both cars were automatic and I had both on my daily commute for several days each. The ATS is a far better driving car. The ATS was so enjoyable that the next time the Hummer went in for a insurance repair of the wheel speed sensor harness (rat gnawed on it) I asked for an ATS loaner, which I was paying for. Roundel-hounds just can't deal with the fact that the ATS is the current real 3-series for sale in the marketplace.

You'd actually be surprised how well the Hummer H3T drives too. It's on-road manners are pretty tied down for a 32-inch tired off-road vehicle. It's got great ground clearance while keeping the driver's seat height at ass level so you need not climb up a mile to get into it. The steering is accurate and nicely weighted. The brakes aren't the best but they are big twin-piston calipers at least. The trans is an automatic, so it sucks by definition.

I've yet to drive the Alpha-chassis Camaro, but I have one built on Chevy's website. A 2LT 3.6L, manual trans, RS package, performance enthusiasts package, and brake and cooling package. Damned nice car on paper for $37K. I plan on taking a Camaro out soon for a test drive.

If Cadillac offered the ATS with a manual trans mated to the 3.6L I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I'd bet that SS is nice.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0