View Single Post
      06-30-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

A full on wireless repeater meaning there are no cabling connections to establish the back connection to your LAN are the bane in my side when talking to people about wireless networks. There is only one wireless mesh/extender setup which I approve of and that's one that uses 5 GHz as the wireless backhaul/backbone and 2.4 to service clients. Keep in mind when you use wireless repeaters, you divide your overall network speed through that segment in half. So say the throughput is 150 Mbps at the client, you're only going to get 75 Mbps as your true speed. And every time you add another hop in this extension, you divide the speed in half again.

The setup you're describing sounds like the use of powerline networking with a wireless bridge integrated. This system overall is better in my mind than a full wireless repeater setup but you're at the mercy of the quality of your power lines and any noise issues with things connected to it. I don't remember what the maximum speed of power line networking devices are but I seem to recall about 200 Mbps. Also powerline systems have issues traversing through circuit breakers. So if two ends of a powerline point to point system are connected on different power circuits, it may not work. Now I've heard newer powerline devices have overcome this problem.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441010.00