01-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #79
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Perhaps it is the easiest/only way to get good engine noise with still retaining minimal road noise? The Lexus LFA actually channels engine noise into the cabin via special tubes on the intake.
Personally I have no issue with it as long as it sounds as good outside the cabin too.
Yeah, but that's the actual sound that LFA engine is currently making, channeled into the cockpit via acoustic tubes. It's different in two very important ways from what BMW is doing:

1) The sound is live, not a pre-recorded sample that's being played back as in the M5 (and I assume the M135i).
2) The sound is not amplified in any way, as it is in the M5 and the M135i via their speaker systems.

http://www.yamaha.com/news_release/2009/20091021.html

Quote:
Only physical acoustic methods were utilized to give the driver a direct sensation of this engine’s characteristics. There is no electrical or electronic sound processing. As a result, sounds that reach the driver are clear, dynamic, and smooth.
This is the kind of engineering that BMW should be investing in. Not recording the engine on a dyno and playing it back through the speaker system.

For a company that built its reputation on driver feedback, BMW sure continues to find more and more ways to separate the connection between the driver to the car to the road.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0