View Single Post
      05-07-2021, 01:32 PM   #6
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
And Toyota seems to thin EVs are a dumb idea, since the mining and refinement of rare earth metals needed to make large EV batteries emits nearly as much CO2 as half the lifetime of a ICE. Then more CO2 to make the electricity to charge the battery (by burning coal, or natural gas). That's why Toyota doesn't have any EVs to offer. Are they wrong? Hmmm ...

I'm sort of with them on this. EV is not saving the planet, it simply shifts the CO2 blame down and up stream.

A H-tank doesn't take so long to fill, and if it gives you a ICE experience, I'd be all for it.
‘Whataboutism’ mixed with some mathematical strawman for good measure. The scale of damage caused by fossil fuel extraction and use is many many orders of magnitude more than mining issues. Yes, if this is their position, they are wrong. Toyota is literally the only one of hundreds of industrial manufacturers going against hedging development of EV technology. This makes it highly unlikely that they are "right". IMO, Toyota put a lot of resources towards H2 a long time ago and is trying to show some payoff for their development and R&D costs, the classic sunk cost issue.

Last edited by RM7; 05-07-2021 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00