deshields
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
[Semi-serious rant]
Ding, exactly the reason I will not buy another BMW. Good job, propeller heads, you've officially lost your way. The "Ultimate Driving Machine" should not become the "Ultimate Fake Off Road Vehicle Just Because We Can't Determine That Americans Are Over SUV's (or SAV's)".

Put it in your brown eye, I'll buy an Audi A3 or Golf TDI, even though I've already owned and hated Audii before. This constant misstep towards trucks, electric steering, lack of limited slip diffs and under offering of diesels and hatches in the US market is ridiculous.

If BMW wants to see how to run an actual car company, simply look at what VW has done with their investments; they've saved Lamborghini, made Bentley mildly interesting, focused Audi and acquired Porsche. The Quandt's have done what? Made a barge of Rolls Royce, failed with Land Rover and lost momentum with Mini. Good work. More sport utes and pussified cars please. Oh, wait, no. F-off.

[/Semi-serious rant]
1) Americans are NOT over SUVs. Regardless, how does BMW offering SUV/SAVs have an effect on their cars? If anything it would allow the cars to be more focused on being CARS.

2) You'll buy an A3 or Golf even though you hated past offerings --- makes sense, ok....

3) BMW has probably been the most successful of the independant automakers in navigating the troubled economic/automotive times of the past year, by actually reducing costs, maintaining profits and moving forward on fuel efficiency and overall efficiency despite the lack of $$ in the marketplace. Your beloved VW has lost marketshare/sales in the same time period and haven't really come up with any innovations besides marketing the hell out of diesel technology, which is just marketing, not really new tech.

4) The Quandts have made a barge of RR? You are right, because all those RRs of the past were svelte two seat rockets.... <sarcasm>. On a percentage basis, RR sales have shot up bigger then any other brand you could name, RR is doing amazingly if you actually take a minute to google their sales figures for the last 10 years, you'll realize what a success story that car has been and will be with the new models coming out and expansion into new markets.

5) Lost momentum with MINI? Which sales figures are you looking at exactly? MINI is probably one of the hottest brands out there and it was built ground up by BMW.

6) More pussified cars? Let me guess you consider the 135i, 335i, 1M, M3 and M5 pussified cars? whats a real car? oh yea, your beloved A3... All this rage because your upset the 123d hatch isn't brought to the US, a REAL man's car. your arguments make NO sense. move along

(psst, i hate to put the nail in the coffin, but you do realize your "focused" audi brand has been on an SUV tear lately to try and catch up with BMW and MB?)

ON TOPIC: This next generation 1-series so far looks like its coming around nicely and will fit in with the rest of the BMW family well, change is inevitable, and if a car has to change, I like the way the 1series is evolving.