06-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #53
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
So, does this mean that M3 M5 M6 owners look at the 'M Sport package' for non M cars in disdain?

I'm going to order an F31 wagon with the M Sport package. It does not have an M badge on the back of the car but there are M's on the wheels, the steering wheel and on the door sills. I know the car is not an 'M', but it's the closest thing I can get to an M3 wagon.

I agree that this list of trademarked names includes too many M variants, but I'm conflicted because I always prefer "M-ness" to any other incarnation, even if it's not a "true" M car.
No, they shouldn't look at it in disdain, since it is common for car companies to include a "performance" line for their standard (non-performance) models. But making a 550 and M550 is walking a fine line. As a businessman, I can see the sense in making these "non-M but still has the M badge" models, since they cater towards people like you (hence why I bolded your last sentence). I'd personally LOVE to pick up an M550d X-drive as a second car. But again, for someone who does drive an M3, I feel like it dilutes the status/name of my car just a tad (not too much, though).

Call it whatever you like, but put yourself in my shoes...wouldn't you be at least a little bothered by the dilution factor of the car you drive? The net love/hate could still be positive (in my case it is, since I would own some of these new M models, even the SUV M's), but I'm mainly talking about the affect it has on those with M cars.

GONE 2011 SG/Blk E92 M3 CS 6MT
Appreciate 0