06-18-2022, 10:12 AM   #79
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I still think the majority of people do not trust a computer to drive their car regardless if they are an enthusiast or not. Washing appliances are completely autonomous devices and when the appliance machine screws up the impact is meaningless. When autonomous cars screw up the impact can be painfully severe and/or financially severe. The problem at this point is moving from the infantile systems we have now (Level 2 - 3) to Level 5 is the propagation of watching the Autopilot system drive the car to trusting the Level 5 system drive the car perfectly (assuming Level 5 is actually the correct definition). With a clothes washing machine or a dish washing machine one does not watch the machine work. Watching a car Autopilot itself through traffic awaiting for the instance it will screw up and human intervention is required is actually more taxing than driving. Jumping from Level 3 to Level 5 has a whole lot of issues both socially and mechanically (i.e. super-reliable hardware).

The autonomous driving future has numerous decades to go before any hint of redundancy for safety is built into the system and as much time for social acceptance related to privacy rights and legal responsibility are realized or solved. I'd say (sadly) kids in their teens and early 20's are socially ahead of the curve regarding the privacy issue, but the legal industry is not anywhere near the resolution of the liability issue. And then hardly anyone addresses what influence the DOT (in the USA) will have on adaptation of autonomous driving. Having worked with the FAA for the last 15 years adapting a new aircraft surveillance technology (including drones), I have first-hand experience with the Governmental process. I just do not see the US Federal Government allowing private to industry implement autonomous driving on the US public highway system without a shitload of regulation.
You'd be surprised at how many people use autopilot even though there have been many errors, faults or glitches in the system as it was improving throughout the years. I've seen first hand with the people i know of with teslas as well as what's reported in the community. A lot of my trips in my tesla are basically to work and back as i have other ICE toys to play with so i don't really use autopilot much. However i do have it and it works.

If you told me tesla has put out a fully autonomous vehicle TODAY with NO driver inside of it that will pick me up from my house and take me to work, i would do it. Not because i think they perfected the system, but because they need real world events to improve it's technology. I, for one, am all for this, even though i am a car enthusiast.

FSD is only getting better and at an accelerated rate with each year that goes by. Our technology has gotten better and that only improves rapidly we time goes on. For whatever improvements they have made say from 2010-2020, will improve twice or even 3x as fast today. I suspect it to get incredibly better by 2025.

We can't sit back and complain about this happening. We have to enjoy what we have now and if they take it away from us in the future, then that's what they'll do. Regardless if we take a stand or not.

Plus i happen to LOVE new tech. I'm one of the few people on this forum who loves the ID8 and can't wait to get it in my next M car.
Appreciate 0