View Single Post
      03-15-2019, 08:05 AM   #27
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I'm not crazy worried about the topic at hand here. If I were to post a picture of my car on social media/the internets, I wouldn't be quite so worried about blurring out my tag; however, I would be more apt to blur out someone else's due to respect for their privacy. They may not want their tag number being displayed by me for all to see.

In relation to the amount of information that can be obtained from a tag number, if you have a $50k+ car, I can assume that you have the ability to purchase such a nice car. This leads me to believe that you have other nice items, such a nice home and possessions inside said home. I also now have your address and know what your car looks like for verification in the event that it isn't parked inside a garage. Not everyone has security systems or camera set ups around their home and to a successful/talented would be thief, it's very easily detectable in the event that you don't.

Lets also consider this scenario. We as humans all act like assholes on the internet from time to time. We also drive like assholes on occasion. I would not put it past other assholes, either on the road or on the internets, to gather your home address, then google street view to see your home, layout of the neighborhood, potentially notice if you have camera's mounted outside or security system stickers in windows/signs in yard. Some assholes could go as far as to break into your car. In the event that you have a GPS in your vehicle, said asshole now has a GPS map to your front door. In the event that you have a home link garage door opener on your rear-view mirror, said asshole now has a key to get in your home. I'm not saying that this is something that everyone should be worried about as most people wouldn't have the balls to such things.....BUT, there are those who do and those that are fueled by revenge, money and/or drugs that have no fear and wouldn't think twice about doing such things.

This is why, in the event that I were to post a picture of another persons car, that I would show them enough respect as not to put myself in a situation of causing potential issues. In today's society, it's quite beneficial to learn how to cover your own ass by showing respect to others. It's not a matter of paranoia, it's a matter of protecting not only yourself but others.

Last edited by King Rudi; 03-15-2019 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 1