ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Yes...also correct!
You're right but there is some "neutralization" in play, in 1st gear the rotational intertia is high, but seen the higher drive axle torque, the acceleration of the car and longitudenal acceleration is also high. In 6th gear both are much lower and stay relatively balanced. Consequently relative loss is rather constant.

But when you find here an argument to shift up a bit earlier, I can only confess you're 100% right! So when you read the torque curves and factor in the transmission reductions, you need to correct with rotational mass inertion (of the engine and all following rotational parts until 1st ax in the transmission, since the remainder, as from 2nd ax, rotates at the speed of the wheels and is not listening to engine RPM).
Yes. About 20 years ago, I made some computer programs to simulate acceleration based on car specifications. Before I added rotational intertia to my data model, the computer car was always faster than the real car, particularly in the first gears. By comparing the computer graph to real life acceleration logs, I found some suitable factors for how much intertia actually slows the car down.

It is in the ballpark of 400-500 kg added weight to the car in first gear, and around 100 kg in the top gear.
Appreciate 0