View Single Post
      11-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #142
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Hi everyone,

Great thread! Im a little out of place, but this is the best thing I've found after searching a while, to address my issues.

I have a 2011 135i with the professional HU and the top H/K hifi stereo, as well as the USB/ipod input (mine came from the factory with the 30 pin ipod/phone Y-cable).

Problem is, I just came home with an iPhone 5S, so my world is shook up regarding the lightning connector. On all my other vehicles I purely use an aux in cable, and then have a cigarette plug charger... but I like that the 135i is integrated a little tighter.

The car is a keeper, I bought it planning to hold on to it for a long time. Owned since new and don't put many miles on it - not even at 10k yet! So I need a workable plan.

I saw that someone mentioned (around post 105) that one can actually use a separate phone cable and a 3.5mm plug and it will work. But has this been verified in BMWs?

Alternately, the high quality BT device seems pretty smart, though then Ill have to add a charger separately. Because it is wireless, I assume there is no chance of ground loops or anything like that? How about sound quality? Some tests have found the iPhone headphone DAC to be quite good.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iph...io-quality.htm

And the posts on here seem to indicate that the better BT units do well.

How about the Apple lightning adapter? it has a DAC, but Ive heard it isn't as good.

So, recommendations? My car doesn't have BT of any sort, though Ive been toying with the idea of retrofitting it if I can...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0