N116i
Registered
Rep
Drives: E87 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolais
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenN View Post
Kolais, when you used your cheap-generic adapter, you said that the music quality was terrible, i believe this to be a common problem, even with a traditional iPod dock for some brands, so i would like to think that there are some out there that dont have this problem.
Actually, the problems were specific to the adapter, they didn't appear when my iPhone was connected directly to Y-cable. First, sometimes the static (white) noise noticeable appeared, especially when playing music whilst navigating: one would hear Tomtom instruction following a residual static that would disappear after the next instruction and so on. Another annoying issue is the tone distortion (this was appearing mostly on losless AAC tracks but I'm not sure if there is a correlation). It sounds like as if tape recorder plays with slightly variable speed and the pitch slightly "flows" up and down.

Quote:
I was wondering, how did the car recognise the cheap unit within the iDrive (as an iphone, or just aux), could you change the tracks from the stereo (most important for me with this solution - not too bothered about the steering wheel controls mind) and did any track names come across with it also?
It wasn't recognised at all, I was just using it as an AUX-connected device so controls didn't work and the track info wasn't available.
Dear kolais,

Thank you very much for your information.

One quick question.

With this adapter attached, are you still able to use hands-free call on steering wheel?

How do you use the phone call while streaming audio with this adapter?

I'm curious if the iPhone is paired with only this adapter or both (car builtin Bluetooth for hands-free).

Regards,
Appreciate 0