First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
As someone that is versed in automotive safety; there is no regulatory framework to identify fault when an accident happens under autonomous vehicle control.

Tesla is self insured.
Tesla allegedly has taken and approach of disengaging their system right before an accident so they can blame human error. There is now a d ongoing investigation. But anyway...

BMW has filed for L3 approval in the US.
I guess they will handle it like Mercedes is doing it, take the liability while the system is active. Mercedes beat BMW for this one as I mentioned in another post: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?t=1920742. And Teslas System is L2 anyway, so not comparable at all (and imo worse than Mercedes'/Audis/BMWs current offering of driver assistance systems, the only difference is its unlocked in all situations which makes it even worse).

As a warning for people hoping to have an almost level 4 experience with no interaction needed on the highway, I don't think that will happen. Mercedes' solution only works in traffic jams up to 40mph and from what I've heard BMW is aiming for 50mph.
Appreciate 0