View Single Post
      01-02-2016, 11:01 PM   #11
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
You don't like the rev matching? I think it is a great feature. After all, most people don't have the skill to do it themselves. I spent years of practice to learn it, but I don't mind leaving the job to the car (which can do it better than me) when I am in transport mode.

When I drive just for fun, I prefer to do my own rev matching just for the sense of achievement. If I compete at autocross, it can even be useful to do some mismatched shifts on purpose to rotate the car into hairpin corners. For track driving, I would probably want the automatic rev matching enabled, particularly when the brakes start fading. It is very difficult to do rev matching while braking when the brake pedal starts going deeper than usual.

The turbo lag makes it more difficult than with a naturally aspirated engine.

All in all, the best solution would be to add a button where we could enable or disable the rev matching, just like the start/stop feature.
> You don't like the rev matching?

To me it's just pointless: for those who don't want to drive there's the automatic transmission.

> After all, most people don't have the skill to do it themselves.

IMHO, if you can't drive then just don't.

> I spent years of practice to learn it, but I don't mind leaving the job to the car (which can do it better than me) when I am in transport mode.

I don't care how much it takes. I don't do it well but that can't prevent me from keeping trying. Transport mode is dull without that. When I was trying the cruise control I felt like closing my eyes: nothing to do. That's just dangerous. What I would mind would be an unwanted "helper" preventing me from discovering/improving my skills and, especially(!), making me look a better driver than I am.

> When I drive just for fun, I prefer to do my own rev matching just for the sense of achievement.

So do I. It's just I always want the fun ("sheer driving pleasure")!

> If I compete

I never feel like competing, but even if I did, I'd rather win by better driving than by driving a better car.

> The turbo lag makes it more difficult than with a naturally aspirated engine.

Oh yes, and so does the electronic accelerator. The hawser was the best, but boys don't cry.

> All in all, the best solution would be to add a button where we could enable or disable the rev matching, just like the start/stop feature.

I'd hardly have any use for the button, exactly as it is with the start/stop! It would be just another obligatory one to peck every time. Even when the passenger complaints, I'd rather go alone. IMHO, the best solution could be realizing what kind of driver you actually are and just selecting the transmission appropriately: "To express oneself honestly, not lying to oneself ... that is very hard to do!"
Appreciate 0