03-16-2014, 03:34 AM   #113
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
I doubt any human could have caught that.....too fast. But traction control may well have. Its designed to keep the car going straight and reacts in milliseconds when it detects a spin, applying individual brakes. Typically it's already reacted and corrected the problem before the driver has consciously registered a problem. Its exactly why I'm not in favour of switching it off.....people claim good drivers don't need it but as Top Gear showed, human reaction times are way to slow to catch a sudden loss of traction/grip on one wheel
But braking with individual wheels has no effect when you are aquaplaning, since there is no grip. It will however prevent excessive wheelspin that can cause trouble when grip is regained.

Humans are slow when they need to think, but reflexes can be very fast. You would be surprised by the slides the best drivers can catch. On some skid pans there are random skid generators that will throw the rear end of the car out in a sudden slide in one direction or the other. Normal people have no chance if the operators set the force to maximum, but I watched HH Frentzen (F1-driver) drive through those things without getting any slides at all. Just a quick correction, and the car kept straight.

Even quite unexperienced drivers will usually drive faster around a track with DSC Off, but I agree that it is a good idea to have it enabled during transport driving.
Appreciate 0