View Single Post
      05-12-2022, 09:42 AM   #1279
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
...because I may have prevented a domicile-destroying conflagration last night!

My iPhone wireless charging cradle has been acting weird for about a week, and failed to charge my on-call work phone on Tuesday night. When I was examining it, I noticed that the microUSB power inlet socket was loose inside the unit. Whenever I moved the charger, the power would intermittently drop.

I went to that big online retailer's web site named after a river, to buy a new wireless charger cradle. When I was reading the reviews of several potential options, there was a recurring theme of chargers melting down or bursting into flames in close proximity to their microUSB input power sockets. Remembering the @#**%@^* nightmare that I had when soldering the microUSB socket onto my lightning detector kit a few years ago, it makes sense that these tiny connectors are easy to snap off of a printed circuit board and the tiny pins are really taxed when feeding 3+ amps into the charger. (I had to buy special hair-thin solder and an "old man" lighted magnifier soldering station to put that connector onto the lightning detector PCB.)

Long story short, I immediately smashed the charging dock to prevent further use, and will definitely use epoxy or hot glue to permanently attach the power cord mechanically to the socket on the replacement cradle (with a USB-C socket this time instead of a microUSB) when it arrives today.....