View Single Post
      11-24-2023, 12:11 AM   #71
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Oh dear..... that damn "1% rule" being thrown around again? I thought that had been debunked, but it seems people are still using it.

The "1% rule" is an outdated, defunct guideline. In reality what constitutes a good deal on any particular car is based on so many factors - timing, regional dealer discounts, incentives you may or may not qualify for, and lease support in the form of residual values and money factor.

For example... on a car which is currently offered with numerous incentives, high residuals, low money factors - a "good" deal might be something like 0.7% of MSRP. In this case the "1% rule" is actually a BAD deal. But holding on to this "1% rule" you'd be fooled into thinking you scored a good deal when more savvy shoppers around you are getting it at 0.7% of MSRP.

On the other hand, a car which might typically lease at 1.5% of MSRP, 1% is probably unrealistic and a "good" deal would be something like 1.25%. But because you're stuck on this "1% rule", you're excluding this particular car from consideration.

In addition to that, not everyone qualifies for every incentive. If someone doesn't qualify for loyalty incentive - does that preclude them from certain brands because they're incapable of scoring a "1% deal" due to their lack of incentive qualification?

On some cars 1% could be a good deal or it could be a bad deal - it's entirely dependent upon what a car is currently typically leasing at in your region, during a given period in time. But aiming for that 1% target is a short sighted approach, and it seriously needs to go away.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0