Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post

I'm fairly sure BMW did not get ''big" selling M1's or ZxM's... I think it was probably more to do with high volume sales of core 3-er, 5-er and X product lines, being bought by people who are not "real enthusiasts", but just people who want a nice car.

Also I doubt BMW will make M versions of all the upcoming FWD cars, or the 7 series, and probably not the entire SUV line, and I'm pretty sure they also won't touch the Rolls-Royce brand with the M name, or infact any BMW model nomenclature.

But yes you're plainly correct, BMW obviously don't build "anything that real enthusiasts" care about ... how will they ever survive without a few hundred Z4M sales per year...</sarcasm>

edit:

Umm, they made some parts out of CFRP, they took out alot of stuff, and made some parts out of lighter metals... not exactly that different to the techniques employed with the i8...

.. also.. cheap? The CSL was 40-50% MORE expensive than the M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post

I'm fairly sure BMW did not get ''big" selling M1's or ZxM's... I think it was probably more to do with high volume sales of core 3-er, 5-er and X product lines, being bought by people who are not "real enthusiasts", but just people who want a nice car.

Also I doubt BMW will make M versions of all the upcoming FWD cars, or the 7 series, and probably not the entire SUV line, and I'm pretty sure they also won't touch the Rolls-Royce brand with the M name, or infact any BMW model nomenclature.

But yes you're plainly correct, BMW obviously don't build "anything that real enthusiasts" care about ... how will they ever survive without a few hundred Z4M sales per year...</sarcasm>

edit:

Umm, they made some parts out of CFRP, they took out alot of stuff, and made some parts out of lighter metals... not exactly that different to the techniques employed with the i8...

.. also.. cheap? The CSL was 40-50% MORE expensive than the M3.
Big selling this, big selling that. With all these big selling number cars they make they get enough profit so they can make low selling cars, don't they? Tell your opinion to MB, they have SLK55 AMG which sold LESS than Z4 M. Same goes for the TT-RS. And FYI, it's not always about selling. BMW simply just built M1 for homologation so they could race them. They didn't care about selling. You may find it hard to believe, but there was a time when BMW did not just focus on how to make more money.

They made and will make M versions of their SUV's. Wasn't X4 confirmed to have a future M version? I also remember hearing about M770 or something. As for the FWD cars, i'm pretty sure there will be M FWD cars. M means more buyers, and for BMW more buyers are welcome even if it costs them the brand soul. And the RR was a joke, unlikely to happen but from this BMW anything is possible.

I stand by my statement about real enthusiasts. BMW got big because of their cars were appeal to a certain group of people. But now BMW is much bigger because everyone and their mom have a BMW and that's the point. For being an enthusiasts you don't have to drive an M1 or M3. The guy that drives his E30 320i and enjoy it is an enthusiast. What a E30 driver would chose in your opinion? Z4 M a car that performs or a i8, a Prius supercar?

And by the CSL comment, i pointed to the stripped out interior. By removing all the unneeded extra equipment you can save so much weight at a cheap price.
Appreciate 0