05-29-2023, 10:29 AM   #32
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
BMWs biggest problem right now is its complete lack of steering feel. It's really, really bad and was one of the things that separated them from the pack. I don't know how they fix that, but electric steering is the worst thing that's happened to BMW in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Porsche found a way to get some feel into their EPAS system, BMW seems unconcerned and uninterested in doing so. That, and other decisions, leads me to believe they either don't know their customer profile or are seeking another one.
I tried to find the article but couldn't. Sometime in 2013 Car and Driver published an article about the ATS EPS compared to the BMW F30 EPS. The article noted that the ATS and BMW share the exact same ZF EPS steering rack. It is well known the ATS had far better steering feel than the F30 and was my observation as well. Being the ATS and F30 share the same ZF rack, the steering feel is more than just the design of the EPS rack. Steering feel also comes from the rest of the steering system and suspension design and chassis design. Cadillac was able to get a better steering feel from the same rack the F30 used by designing a stronger front subframe in the ATS and better suspension geometry. EPS can be made with good steering feel. You'll laugh, but my 2022 Bronco has better steering feel than the several F30s I've driven. BMW just missed the mark with the F30.

IIRC BMW's first foray into EPS was in the E85/86 Z4 (non-M). I know some will disagree, but I think the E85/86 EPS is very, very good. So good that I did not realize my E86 (I bought used from CarMax) did not have hydraulic steering until I went looking for the PS reservoir to check the hydraulic oil level - LOL. Not seeing a pump and reservoir nor motor on the steering rack, I went to RealOEM.com to verify the power steering system. That's when I discovered BMW's E85/86 EPS powers the steering shaft rather than the steering rack. An ingenious solution, I think. Why BMW dropped that design I've never have discovered through internet searches.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3