View Single Post
      05-23-2013, 05:24 AM   #103
DriverZ
Rep
Drives: 116i ACS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazzi View Post
That's not what I said... Please comprehend what I wrote correctly

I said that the 116i has a very obstructive 2" pipe which limits the power substantially and will in fact prevent any major improvement in power regardless of the power box installed (...) Schnitzer claims over 200HP but yet I haven't seen a third-party dynotune graph which will come even close to this claimed figure. Only photoshop pictures of the graphs are available on the website which have no real data regarding the measurement.
I wont debate on what you said or not...we are not arguing or anything , no worries ,mate.
To my understanding, statements like the above (in bold letters) implying clearly that ACS claims are unrealiable. Then again it could be my mistake.

Quote:
Moreover, Schnitzer claims 0-100 time in 8.1 secs for the tuned 116i and 7,1 secs for the tuned 118i. That is a second difference for cars with power difference which is negligible. That's a big difference....

And then the improvement: the 116i improves from 136 HP to 204 HP, and the acceleration 0-100 improves from 8,5 to 8,1. That's an improvement of 0,4 seconds. Almost 70 HP improvement in power but in time that translates to 0,4 seconds... makes you think, doesn't it?
Now we are talking...

Firstly, lets clarify that the 204Hp number is the spotaneous peak horsepower at some given RPM of the engine. This number alone , is not enough to give you an indication of how the car performs in comparisson to the 210Hp upgrade of 118i nor either justify if the 0.4sec improvement on 0-100 makes sense or not. The question is how this extra torque/power is applied through the revs range & gears individualy.

As we are not talking about a complete engine remapping (reflash) but a tunning box which is obviously using the factory performance patern , its reasonable that the improvent below 80mph is only 0.5sec as the 116i's mapping is less agressive (than 118i) in that range. So its not the restrictive exhaust but the limitations comes from the OEM mapping as the tunning box can only enchance but not completely revise the performance on given RPM range (as a reflash would do).

Also , the boost mapping on the ACS is different for each different gear. I dont know if this has to do with torque limitations comming from ECU , but full boost is not applicable in every gear (ie 1st ,2nd) hence the 0.4 "only" improvement on accelaration to 80mph.

Quote:
Please show me the facts and let me part with my cash at my local ACS dealer
I'm not trying to convince you for anything. I'm not a fanboy of either of tunners myself. I just find it difficult to accept that one of the "legitimate" tunners would ever communicate false performance data ...they have too much to lose if they do that.
Appreciate 0