View Single Post
      06-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #12
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Canon 85mm f1.8

I've had ample opportunity to play around with this lens in various conditions and I'm impressed with it over all. It can be very sharp when the light is right. But CA is severe with high contrast areas, especially between bright white and black. I was following a thread on POTN in the lens sample image section where a very talented photographer posted an excellent image of a model. The model was sitting at a table with white napkins standing in the typical pyramid style you see in restaurants. The area in the background behind the napkins was dark and the CA around the napkins and the glassware was very noticeable. The photographer stated that the one thing he didn't like about this lens was the tendency to show dramatic CA, and he's right. In the first image below the black-and-white striped dress was a CA nightmare before I cleaned it up.

Here are a couple shots taken with different settings. The CA is evident in both. These are 100% crops, but even with the full image at reduced magnification, you can still see the CA.

Crop 1 ISO200 f2.8 1/15

Crop 2 ISO400 f1.8 1/60

But in images with less dramatic contrasting edges, the CA is non-existent. It is here that the lens shines. The sharpness yields very nice 100% crops, as in the images below. The first image is the full shot reduced in size. The second image is the full shot at 100% and cropped to 800x600.

I'm looking forward to trying more portrait shots with this lens. That is, after all, the lens's main claim to fame. For less than $400, this lens is a bargain.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 06-03-2011 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0