04-10-2014, 07:11 AM   #10
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i & Cayenne V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Thanks MTG for your reports,
I always enjoy reading them, you describe things perfectly. Im in the very early stages of ownership, only 200 miles in fact, and im already very taken with the M135i. The creamy smoothness of the car, is an everlasting impression i have of it. The torque is available so early on, it beggars belief. Ive owned many expensive cars, and when i ordered this car, i felt like i had taken a step backwards, maybe getting older and more sensible ?, but upon collecting it, this couldnt be further from the truth. The car has quality and performance to match far more expensive vehicles, and i feel i have found a hidden gem, and that its almost a secret, that only a few of us share. Thinking of the MPE myself, and have read your posts with great interest. I think its obvious you feel this is the right exhaust for the car, not too loud to affect cruising, but loud enough to be fun, with crackles and pops when needed ?. The alternative for me would be the BCS exhaust we have over here, which is a full system, if we so wish, with sports cat, but im not sure if its needed after your reports ?, regards, SIMON.
LOL! Man you sure put your finger on it! Some of my friends look with raised eyebrows that I have moved from Porsches, M3s, Alpinas and so on to a "lowly" 1-series, but oh how little they know! It is fast as lightning, a giant slayer, makes one of the best sounds out of Munich in at least 20 years, has an AT that is better than some of the best dual-clutch units out there, yet cossets us in luxury and advanced electronics, all while turning out gas mileage that would make all but diesel owners jealous!

As for getting a full cat-back system, I have done this several times in the past with previous BMWs and depending on your priorities and price point, would definitely consider this route as well. But if you are less concerned with boosting performance (the M135 is already astonishingly fast) and just want just a tastefully done increase in snarl with a wonderful OEM fit and look, the MPE is truly a great and reasonably priced choice (its a little too quiet for my taste below 4500rpm, but sounds great on startup and... holy cow but does this thing make a glorious scream when you are going all out!).

That said, if you want something that will give you a boost in hp and torque with a bit more bark at peak rpm then a BCS or other full cat-back system would definitely be a better choice. Of all the aftermarket mufflers I've fitted to my BMWs over the years (this is my 7th BMW) I would say I was most please with the sound and performance of the Supersprint systems. Though expensive, I have never heard a muffler than pulled out the fantastically unique characteristics of BMs straight 6s like this. Subdued yet sporty at idle, there is nothing like the growing wail of a Supersprint on an M3 as you really nail it - goose bumps every time!
Appreciate 0